Thursday, February 12, 2009

Claiming Your Children For the Kingdom

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Luke 18:16


At church on Sunday we watched a message from Dr.Tony Campolo. The entire sermon was very powerful. However something that struck me was this. Ask most North American mothers what they want for their children and they will say "I want my children to be happy." Wow! Is that really our deepest desire for our children? To be happy? We might as well draw flowers and peace signs around that statement maybe some yellow smiley faces too.
Wake up folks! The deepest desire for our children needs to be that they know God. That they obey His commandments and accept His gift of salvation. Do not hinder your children with the business of being happy. The fruits of the spirit will provide them with joy if they are living their life for the kingdom instead of living their life to be happy.
Do you include your children in your ministries? Are they invited to serve others with you? Do not hinder them. Teach your children to be the Lord's sheep. Teach them to obey and teach them to worship. Make the center of your home Jesus. Pray often. Listen and sing praise to our God. Take your children with you to deliver a meal to a new mom or a sick friend.

Note: I do not advocate taking your children to things such as adult events (adult only bible studies, dates with your spouse, use your discernment when deciding whether or not to take you child to visit someone seriously ill or dying.) There is a time and place to hire a babysitter.

Heavenly Father
Thank You for my precious children that you have entrusted me with. I claim their lives for Your kingdom oh God! Teach me to nurture with in them your purpose for their lives.
In Jesus name
Amen

2 comments:

Michele said...

So true Sarah. I wish all parents thought like this, I know thats what I want for my kids. Its my daily prayers for my kids. If their kids know God and follow him and stay in the word, they will have true happiness and joy! Great Blog!

Craig said...

Amen. It was an excellent message!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin