Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Review- I am Hutterite By Mary Ann Kirkby

I Am Hutterite takes readers into the hidden heart of the little-known Hutterite colony where author Mary-Ann Kirkby spent her childhood. When she was ten, her parents packed up their seven children and a handful of possessions and left the colony to start a new life. Overnight they were thrust into a world they didn't understand, a world that did not understand them.
With great humor, Kirkby describes how she adapted to popular culture, and with raw honesty she describes her family's deep sense of loss for their community. More than a history lesson, I Am Hutterite is a powerful tale of retracing steps and understanding how our beginnings often define us.

I must tell you I loved this book!  I could not put it down.  I learned so many interesting things about the Hutterite culture.  I had no idea that they pooled their resources and shared their assets.  I love that each member of the community has a job to do and that the function of the colony is so well organized.  I actually found myself thinking that Hutterite living just might be a great idea (then I remembered how much I love my ipod and my SUV). 

I highly recommend reading I am Hutterite.  The only thing I didn't like about the book is that it ended and I wanted the story to go on.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin