Friday, July 31, 2009

Blog Friends and Grandpa


Seriously, the heat and my own bad attitude had me in a tizzy yesterday. I was a bonafide curmudgeon. All I posted on my blog was that I was having a cranky day and not blogging for everyone's protection. Five sweet bloggy friends of mine commented. Kim over at Homesteaders Heart has been writing for a while now that the blog community in real. People care about each other. I am totally seeing more of this over the past little while. This isn't just a case of I'm so much cooler online. I have real friends that I have never met in real life that truly care.

(I must also mention that one of my IRL friends called me to ask about my lack of posting :))

The other Finer Thing this Friday is my Grandpa. It's his birthday. I won't divulge his age since he claims to be turning 29 this year. My grandpa can be kind of rough around the edges. He has a big heart though. The man has been through various cancers, minor strokes and seizures over the past 6 years, but still longs for the hugs of his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Me with Grandma and Grandpa at my wedding.


One of my (and his) favorite stories about the two of us happened when I was in highschool. I hate returning items to the store. Always have. Well I had a cordless phone that stopped working after 3 months. I decided to take it back and hopefully get a different one. There was a huge (picture the biggest wrestler you have ever seen x3) sales man helping me. He told me he would not take the phone back because it was past the 60 days return policy. I left the store and went to find my grandparents who were at the mall with me that day.

I told my Grandpa what had happened (not tattling but they were wondering why I was still carrying the broken phone). Well my Grandpa (all 5'6" of him) went marching into that store looked at the salesman and said "Well that's a stupid return policy." Long story short I was able to return the phone and get my money back. I always smile when I remember this.

These are my Finer Things today.

8 comments:

Keri said...

i recently lost both my grandparents- treasure your time with them... it sounds like your grandpa is an amazing person.
and i understand about the lack of posting thing... my allergies have been going CRAZY this year and i find being on the computer for a long time makes my sinus headaches worse... YUCK!
take care :)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Good morning my friend. It's good to see that you are a little better this morning!! And yes it's true that people CAN care about you even though we've never met. Crazy huh?
LOVED the story about your Grandpa. I hate returning stuff too. In fact I have a pair of shorts that I need to return that have been sitting there for 2 months! LOL
Big hugs for you today!
Kim

Amy Lynne said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! The heat gets me cranky too! I am so glad for all of you guys out in bloggy land too, it is so nice to have extra support when we need it. What a great grandpa you have, happy birthday to him!

Christy Killoran said...

I love the stories about your grandpa. I especially love that he is turning 29! Happy Birthday wishes to him!

Jennsmere said...

Such a precious story about your Grandpa! thanks for sharing..glad you are feeling a bit more 'crank-free'!

Bless you,
Susan

Jackie said...

Sarah, we have been out of town this week and just got home tonight. I am sorry you were having a bad day yesterday and hope things are good now.

Love the picture of you on your wedding day with your grandparents. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Attic Rat said...

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!!

Great big smiles,
Teresa

<)))~~

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Yay for Grandpa! My own grandpa is one fiesty guy. He's slipping, though, and it is so sad. I'm treasuring every moment with him!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin