Well My heart has been tugged and my thinking stretched over the last little while as I have been living among some of the "least of these". Here is a list of things I learned over the past 2 weeks:
1. People told me they could never pack up their family and move to a dangerous neighborhood. I used to say that too. Never say never because that will be where God plants you to grow.
2. It's sometimes hard to give without making people feel like they are a charity case.
3. God's thoughts really are so much higher than my own and He is the one who I want to lift high and give glory to for this mission that my family has taken on.
4. Even though I have not seen any significant change among the people in the neighborhood God can and does work all things for that good of those who love Him.
5. Jesus did not say feed the hungry and cloth the naked if they have it all together and are responsible people.
6. He said love your neighbor.
6. Love is patient and love is kind.
7. There is a serious war going on. The devil and his demon army are out to capture whoever they can and drag them into hell with them. We need to be wearing the armor of God and fighting in the trenches for our fellow man to know Jesus and be set free from the things of the world that are holding them captive.
8. If I am to be called a friend of Jesus I need to talk about Him to others way more than I do.
9. Seriously, television is a huge problem among the impoverished people. I was shocked that folks were out of money to buy food but were paying $112.00 a month for their satellite service.
10. I am rich because of God's blessing in my life and not because of my own doing.
11. God watches over us and protects us. Even though we had drug addicts coming to our door looking for crack and police coming because they thought our tent trailer was stolen, God was so faithful in keeping us safe from harm. None of our belongings were stolen and nothing was vandalized while we were staying there.
12. It's easy to love the lovely. The unlovely who really need to be loved.
13. God answers prayer. I never cease to be amazed at when I look back over things and see how God has answered my prayers. One story that comes to mind is this: Before we left on our "mission" I had been praying that Jesus' light would shine through us. Well the first day we were camped out I was chatting with our neighbor Henry and he said to me "You're religious aren't you?"
I said "Well yes I am a Christian."
He told me that he could tell because people who have Jesus are happy.
Now I am not always a cheerful person folks so that was the light of Jesus shining through me. I am so excited to see God's work and know that He is speaking to and through little ole me.
Thanks again for your prayers and encouragement.
For more Thursday Thirteen Head on over to Happy to be at Home.